SEO, or search engine optimization, is an essential part of digital marketing. Without a solid SEO strategy, you’re going to have a much more difficult time attracting leads. Good SEO is needed in order to rank high on search engines such as Google, thereby boosting the exposure of your website. The following are ten ways that you can improve your SEO marketing in order to boost your ranking and attract more web traffic:
- Research your keywords – The keywords you use to optimize your site should be relevant to the content you’re using them in. Additionally, you’ll want to make sure that they are competitive. A keyword like “computer” is not going to help, whereas something more specific like “computer repair in Atlanta,” is a much stronger choice. Do your research to identify relevant, strong keywords.
- Optimize your site using keywords - Keywords should be used naturally throughout your content as well as in titles, meta descriptions, anchor text, alt image text and headers.
- Earn links, don’t build them - Building links often consists of purchasing links. This is frowned upon by Google and could hurt your SEO. Your external links must come from high quality sources in order to have a positive impact on your SEO.
- Use relevant outbound links – Relevant outbound links that send visitors to high quality sites help add value to your own webpages.
- Use internal links – Internal links not only help visitors navigate your site more easily, they help Google to crawl your site more effectively.
- Create relevant and original content – Search engines develop their algorithms in order to reward websites with good content. They use numerous factors to identify good content, which means there’s no way around it. You must create content that is both original and relevant to earn a high ranking.
- Update your content regularly – Search engines pay attention to how often you update your content. If you don’t update it regularly, it could hurt your ranking as search engines will assume that your old content is not relevant to more current search queries.
- Ensure that your site loads quickly - A page that loads slowly will cause visitors to leave your site, which increases your bounce rate. The bounce rate of your site, which includes how long visitors stay on your site before they leave, is used as a factor in determining your search engine ranking.
- Optimize your website for mobile use - Make sure that your website is optimized for mobile use so that it is properly displayed on mobile screens. If it’s not, it will hurt your mobile SEO, which will cause you to miss out on mobile users.
- Submit your website to local directories – Submitting your site to Yelp, Angie’s List, Better Business Bureau and more will help to improve your local SEO.
There’s a lot more to SEO then just using a few generic keywords here and there throughout your content. Be sure to use these ten tips in order to strengthen your website’s SEO, thereby boosting your search engine rankings.