Americans conduct an average of 12 billion online searches per month, according to HubSpot. With a number like that, it’s not hard to see why making your website easily findable is an important part of digital marketing success.
The Importance of SEO and SEM for Small Business
You’ve designed and launched an amazing website. Now what? How does a small business manage to get its website found? The answer lies in search engine optimization (SEO) and search engine marketing (SEM).
Sixty-one percent of global internet users research products and services online before making a purchase decision. SEO and SEM help ensure that at least some of those users end up on your site.
Making SEO and SEM Work for You
If you’re new to the world of search engines, the terminology can be daunting. The good news is that you don’t need an advanced degree in marketing to succeed with SEO and SEM. What you do need are these ten tips.
- Remember the basics. Effective SEO and SEM come from interesting content that utilizes relevant keywords (naturally and sparingly), a mobile-friendly design, and easy sharability.
- Localize your SEO. Half of all mobile searches are done with the purpose of discovering local results, and 61 percent end in a purchase. Make sure you optimize for local keywords and that the address on your site matches all off-page listings of your business.
- Don’t forget about existing content. Although it’s important to have a steady flow of new content on your website (Google rewards you for doing so), existing content can always be optimized for better results.
- Vary your format. Not everything on your website has to be in the form of written words. In fact, KISSmetrics found that consumers are over 50 percent more likely to make a purchase after seeing a video.
- Improve user experience. To get significant ROI from your website, focus on user-friendliness. This includes site speed and security, clear CTAs, and website structure.
- Take advantage of web directories. Have your site listed on as many of these as you can in order to increase exposure.
- Implement an effective email campaign. Email is an efficient way to market your website. With the right CTA at the end of each email, website visits skyrocket.
- Get involved in a blog community. It’s not enough to simply have your own blog; interact with other bloggers within your industry for optimum results.
- Be continuous. Keep in mind that managing SEO and SEM isn’t a one-time job. It’s something that should always evolve, just like your business.
- Don’t neglect traditional marketing methods. Any promotion you do, even if offline, has the potential to lead people to your website.
Driving traffic to your website doesn’t have to be complicated. Although SEO regulations change constantly in the internet world, the basic principles remain the same. You’ll be ahead of the game when you keep these tips at the forefront of your efforts.